Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM)
This Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM) from University of Canberra allows you to gain a qualification as a primary school teacher with a specialisation in the innovative fields of science, mathematics and technologies.
$AUD 28,500 per year
CRICOS Code: 088691G
Admission to this course is based on an entrance rank. A rank can be achieved by the following means:
- Year 12 ATAR
- other Australian Qualification
- work experience
- overseas qualification
- All applicants will be required to complete a written statement in response to questions designed to assess their suitability for the teaching profession.
English Language Requirements
- IELTS Band: 7.5
You’ll develop a comprehensive knowledge of the educational theories and teaching skills required in today’s primary school classrooms, as well as a solid understanding of the national primary school literacy and numeracy curriculum from Kindergarten to Year 6.
On top of becoming a confident teacher of English, humanities and social sciences, and health and physical education for children aged five to 12, you’ll develop a focused comprehension of the in-demand subjects of science, technologies and maths. From year two of your studies, you’ll take a range of Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) units which are taught on-site in primary schools, culminating in a specific Science Education Internship in your final year.
On completion of the course, you’ll be ready to take your passion for STeM and use it to create an imaginative and creative classroom from your first year of teaching onwards.
Study a Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM) from University of Canberra and you will:
- gain appropriate scientific, literacy and numeracy knowledge
- learn the theories and principles that are the foundation for educational practice in primary settings
- demonstrate an understanding of student needs and differences, and the relevance of these to learning in inclusive, indigenous, English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD) and mainstream settings
- plan and develop appropriate teaching activities for students from a diverse range of backgrounds
- develop and implement effective assessment strategies and carry out evaluation of teaching programs, resources and your own teaching
- apply the required content knowledge for all primary school curriculum areas to teaching, assessment and reporting methods, alternate/enhanced literacy and numeracy strategies, and the effective use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in teaching and learning
- reflect on your practice and experiences, and engage in a process of continual improvement.
- The Practice (PCK) of Teaching English
- The Practice (PCK) of Teaching Mathematics
- The Practice (PCK) of Teaching Science
- Creative Science Specialist
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy
- Mathematics in the Differentiated Classroom
- Primary school teacher
- STeM teacher
- Deputy principal
- Executive teacher
- Special needs teacher
Interested? Get started today!
University of Canberra, ACT 2601 Australia, Switchboard +61 2 6201 5111
CRICOS number: University of Canberra / University of Canberra College #00212K,
The University of Canberra is located on Ngunnawal Country